OMG. Did you hear about this? There’s little point in speculation on what actually happened in this “story” until all the facts are in, but the speculation, lies, and rhetoric in the post and comments are already ridiculously hilarious.
- The child is in 5th grade, so around, what, 9 years old? Have you ever seen a 9 year old biking on a road? They are like fearless psychotic demons with an inner-ear infection. It’s a frightening thing.
- The cop probably took the kid home because he was genuinely afraid that the kid was gonna become a stain on the road (and he was probably right).
- No one was arrested.
- The police representative claiming that DCS should get involved is an idiot (if they did, as the mother claims).
- Anyone letting their 5th grader bike on roads in Tennessee is probably an idiot, too, but sadly, idiocy is not a dealbreaker for parenthood. (usually it’s a prerequisite.)
- Bill Hobbs’ phone interview (in the comments) reads like a spectacularly executed attempt to cherrypick the statements to reinforce the aforementioned idiotic DCS comment, even though they probably didn’t, at all.
- Now that this has hit instapundit, we can expect the comment thread to reach epic levels of stupidity.
Yes, folks: because this poor cop tried to keep a kid from getting killed, he’s “drunk with power” and needs to be fired. This is the next great battle against the police state. Not, you know, the countless daily deadly drug raids, creepy collusion between the state and media, and an ever-expanding military industrial complex. My suggestion: ignore that blog post, and this one, and move on.